Monday, August 30, 2010

Last OB Call Night

Another rotation done and another month of residency under my belt. I just finished my last duty shift on my OB rotation this morning. This past week was particularly busy. I was on the "floor" on Monday and Thursday, meaning I spent the day caring for women in labor and delivering babies. On Friday, I got to see an interesting surgery. And I was on call Tuesday night, Friday night and all day and night Sunday. Total hours for the week: 90. Those 24-hour shifts are killer. At least things stayed relatively busy - not insanely busy thankfully, but steady. I have had the most wonderful upper level residents to work with, too, and I really appreciate their wisdom, advice, and willingness to answer my questions, even at 3 AM!

So after a month of OB, here are my "numbers":
  • 16 vaginal deliveries (1 forceps, 3 vacuum)
  • 6 c-sections (4 as the actual primary surgeon)
  • 5 circumcisions

I'm definitely feeling much more confident in my skills and ability to manage various labor and post-partum problems. Last night I delivered two babies and all went smoothly. One of my patients only spoke Spanish. She was so thankful that her doctora spoke Spanish too and didn't stop thanking me all day!

Although OB was a busy and intense rotation in many ways, I am sad to see it end. I get another month of OB in the spring and will likely cover OB call nights throughout the year, as well as delivering my own clinic patients when they're due. But I will miss being there at one of the most significant and happy moments of life.

On to new things though - next month, Sports Medicine. It's a good month for this rotation since all the fall sports are well underway now. I should see some "good" injuries. Of course, I don't wish for anyone to get injured. But since young athletes do get injured in football, volleyball, hockey, etc., I'm glad I have the chance to be part of their care and learn how to diagnose and manage various types of joint and muscle injuries. During September, I'll also take call for the adult medicine service. I'm a little nervous about that - we get some very critically ill patients and have the responsibility of running codes for patients in cardiovascular or pulmonary arrest. I've never run a code before - we took a two-day course in advanced cardiac life support, so I technically know how to do it. Please pray that I will be able to stay calm and clear-headed!

Thanks for your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment