Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Nepali Language Class

Today I finished my last Nepali language class. During my six weeks here in Tansen, I attempted to learn some of the language so I could talk with patients. The hospital has an excellent language teacher (guru), Keela. I had private lessons for an hour three times a week where we covered vocabulary, grammar and some medical phrases. However, I did not try to learn the Nepali script, which is very similar to Hindi.

I love learning new languages, and I think I picked up the basics of Nepali pretty quickly. But it is one thing to speak and do drills in class and quite another to converse in real life. The average Nepali speaks with a lot of slang and informal grammar, not to mention slurring everything together so it is difficult to make out the individual words. I can ask a few simple medical questions, but usually the response is un-interpretable, so I tend to rely on translators most of the time. When listening to Nepali doctors interview the patients or hearing a sermon, I can pick out words and phrases, sometimes even enough to get the gist of the conversation, but usually not much more than that. It is frustrating not to be able to communicate directly with people and say the things I want. It is also humbling – reminding me that I am completely dependent on God for everything.

Although my time in Nepal is almost up and I will likely forget all the Nepali I’ve learned once I get home, I have had fun in the process. I feel grateful and confident that I can still learn a new language should I choose to do some long-term missionary work in the future. Language is an amazing thing when you think about it. Communication is a gift that God has given human beings so that we can relate to one another. To think that we are born with our brains wired to learn language, and that some people can learn several different languages and keep them all straight – it is truly amazing. There are so many languages, dialects and accents, and God understands them all. Now they separate us from others, but one day we will rejoice around the throne of heaven worshipping our king in a multitude of tongues yet as one people.

Here are some of the things the Nepalis will say to God in that day:


  • Danyabad Yesu – Thank you, Jesus

  • Prasansa hos Prabu – Praise be to the Lord

  • Yesu nauko jai hos – Praise the name of Jesus

  • Eswarlai maheema hose – Glory be to God

  • Aru nauma chaina tyo mukti - There is salvation in no other name

  • Hameelai titauchan sarwa sada – he loves us forever

Well, that’s enough language lesson for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment