Since my social calendar has become quite full lately, I thought I would devote this posting to talking about some of the ways missionaries here share their lives and build relationships with Christians and non-Christians. Despite a busy work schedule, the missionary doctors seem to find ample time to interact socially. Here is a glimpse of “missionary life” from my recent calendar:
Tuesday: Dinner with Nepali interns and residents
Manisha, a lovely female intern, cooked some delicious Nepali treats for the medical students – chikauni (potato salad), chicken curry, and khir (rice pudding). We brought fruit salad and veggie salad, which were quite a hit with our Nepali friends. I enjoyed learning more about my Nepali colleagues – their families, culture, education and experiences in medicine. Several of them attended medical school in China, so they know what it is like to live in a foreign country where they don’t speak the language.

Wednesday: Dinner and a movie
I spent my afternoon off with a Norwegian surgeon who is here for a year. She is also single, and I was encouraged by her trust in God to care for her and sustain her as she traveled alone to Nepal for a whole year. We have a lot in common actually and have enjoyed hanging out together and encouraging one another as single gals seeking to serve the Lord in medical missions.
Thursday: Dinner at Nanglo’s
I joined Alice (New Zealand medical student) and her husband Ben at the one nice restaurant in Tansen (called Nanglo's), which serves a selection of Indian, Nepali and Chinese food. Although the price is three times as much as the hospital canteen, you can still eat a very nice meal for less than five dollars.
Tuesday: Dinner with Nepali interns and residents
Manisha, a lovely female intern, cooked some delicious Nepali treats for the medical students – chikauni (potato salad), chicken curry, and khir (rice pudding). We brought fruit salad and veggie salad, which were quite a hit with our Nepali friends. I enjoyed learning more about my Nepali colleagues – their families, culture, education and experiences in medicine. Several of them attended medical school in China, so they know what it is like to live in a foreign country where they don’t speak the language.
Wednesday: Dinner and a movie
I spent my afternoon off with a Norwegian surgeon who is here for a year. She is also single, and I was encouraged by her trust in God to care for her and sustain her as she traveled alone to Nepal for a whole year. We have a lot in common actually and have enjoyed hanging out together and encouraging one another as single gals seeking to serve the Lord in medical missions.
Thursday: Dinner at Nanglo’s
I joined Alice (New Zealand medical student) and her husband Ben at the one nice restaurant in Tansen (called Nanglo's), which serves a selection of Indian, Nepali and Chinese food. Although the price is three times as much as the hospital canteen, you can still eat a very nice meal for less than five dollars.
Friday: Out on the Town
Alice and Ben showed me their favorite place to eat in the bazaar – Mini-Nanglo’s, or also affectionately called the “MoMo Man.” Accompanying us were Hans (a Swedish surgeon) and his wife Anita, and Morag, a Scottish teacher who is teaching English in a local school for a few months. The MoMo Man is a hole in the wall, literally. We sat at a table in the back room, which also serves as a bedroom and wash-room when the diners vacate the premises (the restaurant is also the owners’ home). Occasionally family members came to brush their teeth at the faucet 10 feet from our table.
Alice and Ben showed me their favorite place to eat in the bazaar – Mini-Nanglo’s, or also affectionately called the “MoMo Man.” Accompanying us were Hans (a Swedish surgeon) and his wife Anita, and Morag, a Scottish teacher who is teaching English in a local school for a few months. The MoMo Man is a hole in the wall, literally. We sat at a table in the back room, which also serves as a bedroom and wash-room when the diners vacate the premises (the restaurant is also the owners’ home). Occasionally family members came to brush their teeth at the faucet 10 feet from our table.
Saturday: Nepali Church, Bazaar and Lunch, Bideshi Church and Movie Night
I started the day at Nepali church, where I now recognize many familiar faces – Kasi Ram (the tailor) and his family, several members of the hospital pastoral care team and the occupational thearapist, and many of the missionaries and their families. Following the service, I did some shopping and had lunch in the bazaar with Carrie – an Irish gal who used to teach the missionaries’ children – and Yvonne, who is the current missionary school teacher. I arrived back at the hospital guest house just in time for the “bideshi” (English-speaking) church service. Every two weeks, the missionary families gather for worship, prayer and reflection. They take turns leading the service. This week, an Australian family organized things, and it was neat to see the whole family participating. Church was followed by a fellowship meal and then a movie (for anyone interested, the movie was called Caravan – a documentary about the life of a village/tribe who carry their salt on yak-back through the mountains to trade – filmed in Nepal).
Sunday – Dinner with Dr. Lisa and family
I invited myself to Lisa’s house for dinner. Lisa is an American pediatrician who is responsible for supervising the medical student rotations. I really enjoyed working with her on pediatrics and wanted to spend some time hearing about her experiences as a long-term medical missionary. She answered all my questions about preparing for the field, raising support, keeping up with friends and family back home, etc. I hope I was able to encourage her as well.
Often the missionary families organize social activities for the Nepali interns and residents. One night, we joined them for a talk on “How to find your Jiwan saathi” (how to find your lifelong friend or mate). The couple who organized the event talked about the Nepali/Asian approach to marriage (often arranged) and compared the Christian concept of marriage. Then they shared their own story and some of the principles and practices that have made their marriage strong. They asked the interns what they wanted in a husband/wife and what they thought about marriage. It was an interesting time to learn about Nepali ideas of marriage, male/female and husband/wife roles. What a great way to engage the Nepalis on a topic of extreme interest that allowed some exchange of ideas about values and beliefs. Other missionaries open their homes for Bible study, prayer meetings, game nights, and other activities that allow casual interaction and an opportunity for Nepalis to see what a Christian home and family life is like.
As you can see, I have been blessed with wonderful friendships and fellowship here in Tansen, leaving me with little time to be bored or lonely! I am grateful for this glimpse of missionary life.
I started the day at Nepali church, where I now recognize many familiar faces – Kasi Ram (the tailor) and his family, several members of the hospital pastoral care team and the occupational thearapist, and many of the missionaries and their families. Following the service, I did some shopping and had lunch in the bazaar with Carrie – an Irish gal who used to teach the missionaries’ children – and Yvonne, who is the current missionary school teacher. I arrived back at the hospital guest house just in time for the “bideshi” (English-speaking) church service. Every two weeks, the missionary families gather for worship, prayer and reflection. They take turns leading the service. This week, an Australian family organized things, and it was neat to see the whole family participating. Church was followed by a fellowship meal and then a movie (for anyone interested, the movie was called Caravan – a documentary about the life of a village/tribe who carry their salt on yak-back through the mountains to trade – filmed in Nepal).
Sunday – Dinner with Dr. Lisa and family
I invited myself to Lisa’s house for dinner. Lisa is an American pediatrician who is responsible for supervising the medical student rotations. I really enjoyed working with her on pediatrics and wanted to spend some time hearing about her experiences as a long-term medical missionary. She answered all my questions about preparing for the field, raising support, keeping up with friends and family back home, etc. I hope I was able to encourage her as well.
Often the missionary families organize social activities for the Nepali interns and residents. One night, we joined them for a talk on “How to find your Jiwan saathi” (how to find your lifelong friend or mate). The couple who organized the event talked about the Nepali/Asian approach to marriage (often arranged) and compared the Christian concept of marriage. Then they shared their own story and some of the principles and practices that have made their marriage strong. They asked the interns what they wanted in a husband/wife and what they thought about marriage. It was an interesting time to learn about Nepali ideas of marriage, male/female and husband/wife roles. What a great way to engage the Nepalis on a topic of extreme interest that allowed some exchange of ideas about values and beliefs. Other missionaries open their homes for Bible study, prayer meetings, game nights, and other activities that allow casual interaction and an opportunity for Nepalis to see what a Christian home and family life is like.
As you can see, I have been blessed with wonderful friendships and fellowship here in Tansen, leaving me with little time to be bored or lonely! I am grateful for this glimpse of missionary life.
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing and we trust you continue serving and soaking in everything around you until you return to the states.
ReplyDelete