Sunday, August 16, 2009

My First Blog

I'm just getting started with my blog, so bear with me. For starters, I am a fourth-year medical student getting ready to do an eight-week medical rotation in Nepal. My future posts will chronicle my adventures and experiences in this exotic and beautiful land.

Many of you already know of my interest in international medical missions. It all started with a degree in public health, followed by a four-year stint in Bolivia as a health volunteer, where I helped communities improve their health through clean water, sanitary latrines, and nutrition-related projects. Once I got back to the U.S., I convinced my dad to start making some medical mission trip, and we have taken a medical/construction team to Bolivia for the last 10 years. Our last trip was this past June (after three years of not going due to medical school). It was so good to see friends and reconnect with our partner organization. And for the first time, I was able to work with my dad in a student-preceptor capacity - a little daunting, I have to say. Do you know how many different kinds and causes there are of vomiting in children? Yeah. Neither did I. It was awesome to watch my dad sort out the subtleties of each case just by asking questions about the history of the symptoms. Maybe one day I'll be as good a physician as he is!

Bolivia Medical Mission Trip 2009


Nearing the end of my medical school training, I am getting more and more excited about graduating and starting residency. I will be going into family medicine, a three-year residency program. It is a great fit for my broad interests and public health background. Already I am beginning to feel more like a doctor, like I actually know something. People at church are already asking me medical questions, like "I have this bump on my foot, can you look at it?" The scary thing is that I actually try to make a diagnosis! Of course, I can't prescribe anything yet, so I'm not really dangerous. And there is always the fallback of telling people they really should go see their doctor. More importantly, I love the fact that I get to be involved in my patient's lives in a very personal and caring way. Most patients I see in the hospital are really sick and vulnerable. They truly appreciate having someone listen to them, explain things in simple language and help to allay their fears. This past week, I had the awesome experience of being able to pray for a patient. She was so grateful for someone to take the time to lift her up to the greatest healer of all. What a privilege! I never cease to be amazed, joyful and thankful for the opportunity to become a doctor. God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment