Monday, August 31, 2009

First day in Nepal

Arrived safely in Kathmandu after a 30-hour trip via Amsterdam and Delhi. Travel went smoothly for the most part. I did't get much sleep on the trip because I ended up watching three movies - Star Trek (twice actually), Marley and Me and Taken. In Delhi I had to transfer airlines. I was told they would bring my bags for me to identify and my boarding pass. So I spent the night in the transit lounge waiting for the Jet Air folks to come and reassure me I was on the flight to Kathmandu. They came 40 minutes prior to departure. But my bags and I arrived with no problem.

Kathmandu is charming - lots of old and new buildings, mostly 3 or 4 stories, with temples mixed in on every corner almost. Traffice is typical of a third world country. People walking, bikes motorcycles and cars all trying to get through very narrow streets. No traffic lights of course. Add to that the fact that they drive on the left here. So crossing the street is quite an experience - I have to remember to look the right direction and try to weave my way through oncoming vehicles who don't stop and give no indication if they will go around you or not.

Kathmandu


Last night I met a group of New Zealanders here on a mission trip. They invited me to join them for dinner, which is good since I wasn't keen on trying to find a place on my own. I had "mo-mo" - sort of like Chinese dumplings, with a curry sauce. Yum.

I am staying at a Christian guest house close to a commercial center with lots of shops. Actually I am sitting at a Christian coffee house called Higher Ground with free wireless connection overlooking the main street in the neighborhood. Just finished a cappucino and banana smoothie for breakfast.

This morning I met Alice and Ben from New Zealand. Alice is in her final year of medical school and they will be going to Tansen with me. We walked around the neighborhood and found our way to Durbar Square, where there a number of Hindu and Buddhist temples and a palace. Quite interesting. Well, all for now.

2 comments:

  1. Look at you blogging. :sniff sniff: I am SO proud. And you got the photo album linked and everything...no wonder you're going to be a doctor...so smart ;-). Ah, the crossing of the streets...brings back "fond" memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam,

    I'm so glad you made it safely. I had a big smile on my face as I read about your first day. I'm so excited for you in all you get to see, and do, and participate in. I will eagerly await your subsequent posts. Don't forget to take lots of pictures. We're praying for you personally and for your opportunities to minister.

    Love you lots,
    Sonya

    P.s. In case you didn't know, the sermons are now being posted on the church website. Yea!!

    ReplyDelete